Pure peace of mind.
At Douglasdale Retirement Village, we understand that personal security is key to one’s peace of mind and contentment.
The Village has comprehensive security arrangements in place to ensure the safety of our residents at all times. Homes here really are ‘lock-up-and-go’.
We have appointed 24/7 Security Services as our Security Service Provider.
Our security arrangements include the following:
- 24-Hour guarding at both entrance gates with additional guards allocated to patrolling the Village at night. The Galloway entrance guardhouse also functions as a control room with rapid contact with all emergency services as well as instant access to their own armed response service by way of 2 way radios. All guards are also in communication with each other using 2 way radios. Our guards do not only patrol the perimeter of the Village – but also check on open garage doors, open car windows and other general security issues. Both guardhouses are equipped with emergency power to ensure ongoing functionality during power failures.
- Our Security Service Provider maintains a close relationship with the Douglasdale SAPS.
- Our zoned electrified perimeter security fence is linked to the guardhouse with instant indication of the location of an intrusion or fault.
- Additional sensors are installed in selected areas.
- Access control for residents, visitors, employees and contractors is state of the art.
- Residents are issued with an access tag which is to be used for entry and exit at either of the gates.
- All other vehicles will have their licence discs scanned and the driver will need to produce his or her driver’s licence for scanning.
- No visitor will be granted access if the person being visited is not contactable.
- All employees (including private domestic servants and gardeners) are required to undergo a security and fingerprint check. Access to the Village for these people is by way of biometric scanning at the main (Galloway) turnstile gate only.
- Contractors have to unload their employees outside the gate and each contractor employee has to be processed individually at the guardhouse. No contractor is granted access without prior approval of the unit being visited. Contractor staff will need to provide suitable identification.
- Employees departing from the Village may be subjected to random searches. It is important that if you have given any item to an employee to take home, you need to provide that employee with a signed note confirming that they have your permission to be in possession of that item.
- A panic alarm system takes the form of a portable panic pendant. Activating this alarm results in it displaying your unit number in both guardhouses as well as the nurse station. During office hours it also displays at the reception desk as well as a portable unit carried by the Matron. In addition to a response by a member of the nursing staff a security guard will also respond. Minor medical emergencies will be handled by the internal nursing staff. More serious emergencies will result in paramedics being summonsed. The Village has a strong relationship with a private paramedic and ambulance service. Response times have proved to be excellent. The same panic system is installed in the 5 lifts located in the Village.
- All units in the Village are equipped with smoke detectors and fire blankets.
- All security staff and other selected staff members are fully trained in first-line firefighting. The Village is fully equipped with portable fire extinguishers, reel hoses and full size hydrant hoses and nozzles that can reach any part of the Village.
- All security staff and other selected staff members are fully trained in evacuation procedures. This is of particular significance in the apartment blocks, where each floor also has an appointed voluntary floor marshal, whose responsibility is to see to the well-being of any resident who has a physical disability.
- Regular evacuation Fire Drills are held in the apartment blocks. Participation in these drills is mandatory for all residents who are at home.
- The services of a professional health and safety consultant have been contracted to ensure that all statutory health and safety regulations are complied with. Regular audits are undertaken.
In an emergency the following numbers should be used: Note that if phoning from an internal phone only the last 4 digits need to be dialed.
Galloway Gate security (all hours): 010 593 3348 or 010 593 3332
Care Centre duty room (all hours): 010 593 3342
Reception (office hours): 010 593 3336 or 010 593 3346